Tips for Preserving Clothing and Textiles
- Take it (wedding dress, family quilt, etc.) off the hanger
- Protect it from light by placing it in an acid-free box
- Inside the box, it is important to use acid-free tissue, as well. Place rolls of tissue between the folds of the textile for support
- Do not store textiles in an attic or basement. Instead store in a cool, dry area that is not susceptible to extremes in temperature and humidity and that is free from pests and dust
- Handle with clean hands
- Before handling remove bracelets, necklaces, rings, tags, or anything that could catch or cling to a textile or its surface
Source: Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute, Handling Textiles & Costumes.