The NMAAHC Mobile Stories app is licensed, not sold, and referred to in this license as the “App.” The Smithsonian (“Smithsonian”) reserves all rights not expressly granted to You in this End User License Agreement (“EULA”).
1. Acknowledgement: This EULA is between the Smithsonian and You, only, and not with Apple. Apple is not responsible for the App or its contents. The rules in this EULA do not conflict with the App Store Terms of Service, which You acknowledge You have had the opportunity to review.
2. Scope of License: This license granted to You by Smithsonian for this App is limited to a non-transferable license to use the App on any Apple-branded Products that You own or control and as permitted by the Usage Rules set forth in Section 9.b. of the App Store Terms and Conditions (the “Usage Rules”), except that the App may also be accessed, acquired, and used by other accounts if associated through Family Sharing or volume purchasing. Do not use the App on product that You do not own or control. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the App. You may not copy (except as expressly permitted by this license and the Usage Rules), decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, modify, or create derivative works of the App, any updates, or any part thereof (except as and only to the extent any foregoing restriction is prohibited by applicable law or to the extent as may be permitted by the licensing terms governing use of any open sourced components included with the App). Any attempt to do so is a violation of the rights of the Smithsonian and its licensors. If You breach this restriction, You may be subject to prosecution and damages. The terms of the license will govern any upgrades provided by Smithsonian that replace and/or supplement the original Product, unless such upgrade is accompanied by a separate license in which case the terms of that license will govern.
3. Consent to Use of Data: You agree that the Smithsonian, and those authorized by the Smithsonian, may use any content that you submit through the NMAAHC Mobile Stories for educational, promotional, and other standard museum uses (including but not limited to archives, exhibition, fundraising, promotions, publications, and scholarship), but that the Smithsonian is under no obligation to use or retain anything you submit. You further agree that Smithsonian may collect and use technical data and related information, including but not limited to technical information about Your device, system and application software, and peripherals, that is gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services to You (if any) related to the App. Smithsonian may use this information, as long as it is in a form that does not personally identify You, to improve its products or to provide services or technologies to You.
4. Maintenance and Support: The app is provided As-Is and no maintenance and support services will be provided by Smithsonian or Apple.
5. Termination. The EULA is effective until terminated by You or Smithsonian. Your rights under this EULA will terminate automatically without notice from the Smithsonian if You fail to comply with any term(s) of this EULA. Upon termination of the EULA, You shall cease all use of the App, and destroy all copies, full or partial, of the App.
6. Services; Third Party Materials. The App may enable access to Smithsonian’s and third party services and web sites (collectively and individually, "Services"). Use of the Services may require Internet access and that You accept additional terms of service. You understand that by using any of the Services, You may encounter content that may be deemed offensive, indecent, or objectionable, which content may or may not be identified as having explicit language, and that the results of any search or entering of a particular URL may automatically and unintentionally generate links or references to objectionable material. Nevertheless, You agree to use the Services at Your sole risk and that the Smithsonian shall not have any liability to You for content that may be found to be offensive, indecent, or objectionable. Certain Services may display, include or make available content, data, information, applications or materials from third parties (“Third Party Materials”) or provide links to certain third party web sites. By using the Services, You acknowledge and agree that the Smithsonian is not responsible for examining or evaluating the content, accuracy, completeness, timeliness, validity, copyright compliance, legality, decency, quality or any other aspect of such Third Party Materials or web sites. The Smithsonian does not warrant or endorse and does not assume and will not have any liability or responsibility to You or any other person for any third-party Services, Third Party Materials or web sites, or for any other materials, products, or services of third parties. Third Party Materials and links to other web sites are provided solely as a convenience to You. Financial information displayed by any Services is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon as investment advice. Before executing any securities transaction based upon information obtained through the Services, You should consult with a financial professional. Location data provided by any Services is for basic navigational purposes only and is not intended to be relied upon in situations where precise location information is needed or where erroneous, inaccurate or incomplete location data may lead to death, personal injury, property or environmental damage. Neither the Smithsonian, nor any of its content providers, guarantees the availability, accuracy, completeness, reliability, or timeliness of stock information or location data displayed by any Services. You agree that any Services contain proprietary content, information and material that is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws, including but not limited to copyright, and that You will not use such proprietary content, information or materials in any way whatsoever except for permitted use of the Services. No portion of the Services may be reproduced in any form or by any means. You agree not to modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute, or create derivative works based on the Services, in any manner, and You shall not exploit the Services in any unauthorized way whatsoever, including but not limited to, by trespass or burdening network capacity. You further agree not to use the Services in any manner to harass, abuse, stalk, threaten, defame or otherwise infringe or violate the rights of any other party, and that the Smithsonian is not in any way responsible for any such use by You, nor for any harassing, threatening, defamatory, offensive or illegal messages or transmissions that You may receive as a result of using any of the Services. In addition, third party Services and Third Party Materials that may be accessed from, displayed on or linked to from the iPhone or iPod touch are not available in all languages or in all countries. The Smithsonian makes no representation that such Services and Materials are appropriate or available for use in any particular location. To the extent You choose to access such Services or Materials, You do so at Your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with any applicable laws, including but not limited to applicable local laws. The Smithsonian, and its licensors, reserve the right to change, suspend, remove, or disable access to any Services at any time without notice. In no event will the Smithsonian be liable for the removal of or disabling of access to any such Services. The Smithsonian may also impose limits on the use of or access to certain Services, in any case and without notice or liability.
7. NO WARRANTY: YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT USE OF THE APP IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THAT THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE APP AND ANY SERVICES PERFORMED OR PROVIDED BY THE APP ("SERVICES") ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND “AS AVAILABLE”, WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, AND SMITHSONIAN HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE APP AND ANY SERVICES, EITHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND/OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OF ACCURACY, OF QUIET ENJOYMENT, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. SMITHSONIAN DOES NOT WARRANT AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE APP, THAT THE FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN, OR SERVICES PERFORMED OR PROVIDED BY, THE APP WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, THAT THE OPERATION OF THE APP OR SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT DEFECTS IN THE APP OR SERVICES WILL BE CORRECTED. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION OR ADVICE GIVEN BY SMITHSONIAN OR ITS AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY. SHOULD THE APP OR SERVICES PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR LIMITATIONS ON APPLICABLE STATUTORY RIGHTS OF A CONSUMER, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. In the event of any failure of the App to conform to any warranty not effectively disclaimed above: You may notify Apple, and Apple will refund the purchase price of the App to You ($0.00); and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Apple will have no other warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the App; and any other claims, losses, liabilities, damages, costs, or expenses attributable to any failure to conform to any warranty that is not effectively disclaimed above is the Smithsonian’s responsibility.
8. Limitation of Liability. TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL SMITHSONIAN BE LIABLE FOR PERSONAL INJURY, OR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION OR ANY OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE APP, HOWEVER CAUSED, REGARDLESS OF THE THEORY OF LIABILITY (CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE) AND EVEN IF SMITHSONIAN HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR PERSONAL INJURY, OR OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. In no event shall Smithsonian’s total liability to you for all damages (other than as may be required by applicable law in cases involving personal injury) exceed the amount of fifty dollars ($50.00). The foregoing limitations will apply even if the above stated remedy fails of its essential purpose.
9. Export. You may not use or otherwise export or re-export the App except as authorized by United States law and the laws of the jurisdiction in which the App was obtained. In particular, but without limitation, the App may not be exported or re-exported (a) into any U.S. embargoed countries or (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce Denied Person’s List or Entity List. By using the App, you represent and warrant that you are not located in any such country or on any such list. You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons.
10. Government Users: The App and related documentation are "Commercial Items", as that term is defined at 48 C.F.R. §2.101, consisting of "Commercial Computer Software" and "Commercial Computer Software Documentation", as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. §12.212 or 48 C.F.R. §227.7202, as applicable. Consistent with 48 C.F.R. §12.212 or 48 C.F.R. §227.7202-1 through 227.7202-4, as applicable, the Commercial Computer Software and Commercial Computer Software Documentation are being licensed to U.S. Government end users (a) only as Commercial Items and (b) with only those rights as are granted to all other end users pursuant to the terms and conditions herein. Unpublished-rights reserved under the copyright laws of the United States.
11. Intellectual Property Rights: In the event of any third party claim that the App, or Your possession and use of the App, infringes that third party’s intellectual property rights, the Smithsonian, not Apple, will be solely responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement, and discharge of such claim.
12. Legal Compliance: You represent and warrant that (i) You are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo or designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist supporting” country”; and (ii) You are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties.
13. Developer Name and Address: Smithsonian Institution, 1000 Jefferson Drive, S.W., Washington D.C. 20560. For questions, complaints or comments about this app, you may email NMAAHCapp@si.edu.
14. Third Party Terms of Agreement: You must comply with applicable third party terms of agreement when using the App, such as those of Your wireless carrier.
15. Third Party Beneficiary: Apple, and Apple’s subsidiaries, are third party beneficiaries of the EULA, and upon Your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this EULA, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce the EULA against You as a third party beneficiary thereof.
16. Choice of Law: Federal law governs this EULA. Your use of the App may also be subject to other local, state, national, or international laws.