Host an Event
The National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) opened Sept. 24, 2016, on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. Occupying a prominent 5-acre location next to the Washington Monument, the nearly 400,000-square-foot museum is the nation’s largest and most comprehensive cultural destination devoted exclusively to exploring, documenting and showcasing the African American story and its impact on American and world history. The museum was created in 2003 by an act of Congress, establishing it as part of the Smithsonian. Construction began in February 2012 with a ceremonial groundbreaking.
A team of professional event coordinators is available to ensure your event is a memorable experience for your guests. Upon request, Museum rental rates and a list of vendors whose insurance certificates are currently on file and who are familiar with the procedures and guidelines of working in the Museum can be provided. Special Events Coordinators have final approval in the selection of all vendors.
All of the museum’s floors are accessible by elevator and stairs. The National Museum of African American History and Culture is conveniently located within walking distance to several Metro lines including the Federal Triangle Station, served by the Orange, Blue and Silver lines and the Smithsonian Station, served by the Orange, Blue, and Silver lines. Limited, metered street parking is available on both Madison Avenue, NW and Jefferson Drive, SW.
For more information about hosting an event at the museum, contact our special events team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.633.4969.
- Main level of the museum
- Scenic view of National Monument
- Convenient access to Museum Shop and all museum galleries
- Floor to ceiling window walls
- Reception Capacity: 2500 Guests
- Seated Dinner Capacity: 400 Guests
- In close proximity to the Oprah Winfrey Theater, Sweet Home Café and History Galleries
- Unique Monumental Staircase Design feature anchors the space
- Contemplative Court a water- and light-filled memorial area that offers visitors a quiet space for reflection
- Concourse Atrium Seated Dinner- 200 guests
- Concourse Atrium Reception- 350 guests
Oprah Winfrey Theater
- Seats 350 people
- State of the Art Cinematic Screen and Sound
- Features aesthetics of museum exterior Corona Panels
Corona Level Gallery Balconies
(L2, L3 and L4)
- Unique opportunity to experience the galleries after-hours
- Views of the National Mall
- Available for bars and passed hors d'oeuvres only, limited seating
Solomon Brown Suite and Terrace
- Unparalleled view of the National Monument
- Intimate indoor/outdoor event space
- Solomon Brown Suite Reception Capacity: 100 guests
- Seated Dinner Capacity: 70 guests
- Bank of America Terrace Reception Capacity: 200 guests
- Seated Dinner Capacity: 60 guests
- All events must conform to the Smithsonian Institution and NMAAHC event rental policies.
- We are presently unable to accommodate events of a personal nature i.e. weddings, birthday parties, retirement parties, etc.
- To secure a date on the museum calendar, please review the SD 401 Policy and SD 401A, complete the Application for Use form for review and approval, sign a memoranda of agreement and return it with a non-refundable rental deposit.
- Special events should not interfere with the normal visitation or work of the museum.
- There are no parking facilities at the NMAAHC.
- The NMAAHC is not responsible for any disruptions that may occur due to mechanical difficulties, facility emergencies, construction, or unanticipated events beyond the museum’s control.
Please refer to the pdf files below for full text of policy and guidelines.
Contact The Special Events Team
Call 202-633-4969 | Email email@example.com