Click filter name to remove
Your search found 1 result(s).
- Created by
- Price, Louvenia, American, 1857 - 1935
- Subject of
- Black Fashion Museum, American, 1979 - 2007
- silk velvet, silk satin, fur, and metal
- H x W x D (On Form): 54 × 26 × 19 1/2 in. (137.2 × 66 × 49.5 cm)
- H x W x D (In box): 52 × 22 × 6 in. (132.1 × 55.9 × 15.2 cm)
- evening coats
- This wearable work of art was handed down to the maker's descendants. Louvenia Price, who was born enslaved, continued to work as a seamstress after she was emancipated. Price made this cape for her own use.
- This mid-calf length evening coat is made of a deep teal silk velvet with brown fur cuffs and a black silk satin lining. A decorative black silk cord is sewn to the exterior of the garment to form swirls, floral motifs, feather motifs, and other designs popular in the late Victorian period. The sleeves begin near the wearer's elbow, creating a cape-like silhouette from the proper front. The coat closes along the proper center front with a series of hook-and-eye closures, with the hooks and the eyes alternating along the proper left and proper right sides of the opening. The proper back is shaped to accommodate a large bustle. The band collar also contains applied braid designs, and closes at the proper front neck with two (2) hook-and-eye closures. The interior fabric is quilted in a diagonal pattern, but the quilting does not show through to the exterior of the garment. There is one set-in pocket on the proper left front of the interior. Attached at the center back of the interior are two accordion-like fabric pieces and two long black ribbons, likely used to adjust the fit at the waist line and to secure the coat to the wearer's body.
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of the Black Fashion Museum founded by Lois K. Alexander-Lane
- Object number
- Restrictions & Rights
- No Known Copyright Restrictions
- See more items in
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Collection
- Collection title
- Black Fashion Museum Collection
- Documents and Published Materials
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture