The Community Curation Platform connects African American communities across generational divides by preserving our history through the sharing of stories, photos, and videos to the Museum’s digital community collection.
You may interact with the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture’s (NMAAHC) Community Curation Platform website on the following conditions:
- You are solely responsible for the content you submit and the consequences of submitting content.
- You retain ownership of your submission. However, by submitting content, you give the NMAAHC and those authorized by the NMAAHC permission to use it for any educational, promotional, or other standard museum purpose, in any media now known or later developed, without compensation to you. You further give the public permission to use the content you submit for personal, educational, or non-commercial uses in any media now known or later developed without compensation to you.
- You will not submit content that is off-topic, partisan-political, contains personal attacks or expletives, or is otherwise abusive, threatening, unlawful, harassing, discriminatory, libelous, obscene, false, pornographic, or that infringes on the rights of any third party.
- You only will submit content that you own or for which you have received permission from the person or entity that owns the content and intellectual property rights.
- You understand that the NMAAHC monitors submitted content and is under no obligation to publish or otherwise use the content you submit.
- By submitting content, you waive any privacy expectations you may have with regard to the submitted content. The NMAAHC may make the content you submit available to the general public online, at its premises, in an exhibition, or in educational projects created by partners authorized by the NMAAHC. The content you submit also may be shared with third parties in response to law enforcement or congressional requests, in response to public requests for information from the NMAAHC under Smithsonian Directive 807 (available at www.si.edu/ogc) , and as the Smithsonian determines is required by applicable law or regulation. Do not submit any content or personally identifiable information that you do not want made public. If you submit material to the “Submit Story” area of the website, the NMAAHC will take reasonable steps to avoid disclosing your email address to the public, but cannot guarantee your privacy.
- If your content is selected by the NMAAHC for posting, website visitors may share your content via social media websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and 3rd Party applications such as “ShareThis.” These sites operate independently of the NMAAHC and have their own privacy policies (any data that the NMAAHC collects on these sites is subject to www.si.edu/privacy). In addition, comments with which you disagree may become associated with the content you submit.
- NMAAHC decisions are final and binding.
- Children under the age of 18 are not permitted to submit stories to the website. Moreover, only a child’s parent, guardian, or teacher with permission may submit stories on behalf of a child.
- Any content you are submitting on the website does not include photographs, full names, or any other personally identifiable information of children currently under the age of 18, without obtaining prior verifiable consent from the child's parent or guardian. Photographs that include children under the age of 18 may only be shared if you (the submitter) are the parent or legal guardian of each child represented, or if you have obtained prior written consent from each child’s parent or legal guardian (and uploaded that consent through the "Submit Story " page on the website).
- You agree to indemnify and hold the NMAAHC and its sponsors harmless against any claims asserted by any third parties that allege your submission violates their rights, or from any breaches by you of these terms and conditions. You shall be responsible for any costs incurred by the NMAAHC or its sponsors for defense or settlement of third-party claims, including but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees.
- All submissions are voluntary on your part.
To remove a story you have submitted that you no longer wish to be published or archived on the website, log in to your User Account on the CCP and find the story you wish to remove and choose 'Delete'.
To remove your User Account and all associated content, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.