The Jones-Hall-Sims House was built in 1874 and originally belonged to the formerly enslaved Richard Jones. Together with his brother Erasmus, Jones purchased the nine acres from a nearby plantation for $135. The families farmed the land around the house and over the years, gave parcels to their children and other relatives who also built homes there. The structure was situated near Poolesville, Maryland when it was first identified, in the Jonesville community, named after the brothers. Members of the family continue to live in the area. After acquiring the house in 2009, the Museum had the structure dismantled, fumigated, cleaned, and finally, reassembled in the museum, requiring nearly three years of very specialized craftsmanship.