This page includes resources helpful to students and educators participating in National History Day.
- NHD at NMAAHC Topic List
- NHD at NMAAHC 2021 Digital Activity: The Great NMAAHC Topic Hunt
- NHD at NMAAHC Collection Connection Grid 2021
- NHD at NMAAHC Project Packs
- Bearing Witness: Testimony as an Act of Courage - NHD Theme book 2021 Article
2020 - 2021 Topic List
Explore potential project topics about African American history from the capital of the United States, Washington, D.C.
NHD at NMAAHC Digital GalleryActivity: The Great NMAAHC Topic Hunt 2021
Explore the online collection of the NMAAHC to find potential project topics on individuals, groups, and events connected to the 2021 contest theme: Communication in History: The Key to Understanding.
NHD at NMAAHC Collection Connection Grid
Explore items from the NMAAHC collection that represent the 2020 - 2021 theme: Communication in History: The Key to Understanding. Use the collection objects to develop a project topic or to help expand the analysis within a project.
NHD at NMAAHC Project Packs are designed to help students begin their National History Day projects by providing information and sources on topics related to the annual National History Day theme. Each pack includes background information and context, potential research questions, secondary and primary text sources, and related historical artifacts from the NMAAHC collection.
- Self-Emancipation and the Civil War
- Sissieretta Jones: An Opera Star and Jim Crow
- African Americans, Jazz, and the Cold War
- African Americans and the 1893 World's Fair