Join the NMAAHC in summer 2020 for a new digital experience, “Reading Through the Galleries,” the NMAAHC Summer Reading Challenge! Created for 3rd - 12th grade students and educators, the book selections are curated to provide enjoyment and enrichment about African American history and culture.
The “Reading Through the Galleries” runs from June through August.
Credit: NMAAHC/Doug Sanford
The History Galleries and our Temporary Exhibition*
June Book List
Explore the museum by reading fiction and non-fiction related to the themes of the galleries and their respective exhibits. In June we focus on the History Galleries and the temporary exhibition: We Return Fighting: The African American Experience in World War I.*
- Read the minimum required amount of selections based on your grade or educator group:
- Sojourners (Grades 3 - 5): 3 Selections Per Month
- Navigators (Grades 6 - 8): 3 Selections Per Month
- Innovators (Grades 9 - 12): 3 Selections Per Month
- Educators (Grades 3 - 12): 3 Selections Per Month
- Deepen your reading experience with resources and activities provided by the NMAAHC each month.
- Record your book selections on the "My Reading List" worksheet or elsewhere of your choice.
- Submit your monthly book selections to the NMAAHC by the 15th day of the following month.
We have complied a range of non-fiction and fiction selections. This list is not exhaustive. Students and educators can read selections outside this list if it fits the theme for the month.
(Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture)
Resources and Activities
Deepen your summer reading experience with resources and activities that promote literacy and creative engagement.
June: History Galleries
- Double Entry Journals - This is a reading log activity that asks you to reflect on passages within your selection.
- Questioning the Author - This is activity asks you to engage the selection by questioning the choices of the author and their work.
- Create a Literary Quilt - This is activity asks you to creatively engage the selection by creating a quilt that includes elements (such as theme, characters, plot points) that you found important or engaging. You will design quilt squares for each section or chapter of the selection.
Activity selections adapted from 50 Literacy Strategies: Step by Step (Fourth Edition) by Gail E. Tompkins.
Theme 2020: "Reading Through the Galleries"
Explore the museum by reading fiction and non-fiction selections related to the objects, narratives, and themes of the galleries and their respective exhibits. Each month the NMAAHC will upload a booklist and enrichment activities highlighting one of our three galleries: History, Community, and Culture and their respective exhibits. For June, and exploration of the History Galleries, we will include selections to accompany our temporary exhibition: We Return Fighting: The African American Experience in World War I.
June: History Galleries and our Temporary Exhibition*
July: Community Galleries
August: Culture Galleries
Monthly Completion Certificates
To conquer the challenge, you are encouraged to read three books. Use the curated list provided or read your own selections!
Each month a certificate will be available to celebrate your accomplishment in our NMAAHC Summer Reading Challenge. To receive a downloadable certificate, submit your reading selections by the dates listed on the chart below.
|Reading List Release||Monthly Certificate Available||monthly Certificate Closes|
|History Galleries||June 15||June 15||July 15|
|Community Galleries||July 1||July 15||August 15|
|Culture Galleries||August 1||August 15||September 15|