Bullet from Point of Pines Plantation

Created by
Unidentified
Subject of
Point of Pines Plantation, American
Medium
metal
Dimensions
H x W x D: 1 1/16 × 9/16 × 9/16 in. (2.7 × 1.4 × 1.4 cm)
Type
bullets
Place collected
Edisto Island, Charleston County, South Carolina, United States, Sea Islands, North and Central America
Date
ca. 1861
Caption
Bullets from Point of Pines Plantation
Point of Pines Plantation was the first site of Union occupation on Edisto in 1861. In fact, the plantation was named Fort Edisto by Union forces. Edisto was occupied on and off from 1861-1865. It became a point of freedom as African Americans across the region traveled great distances to the island during the Civil War. Many of these men were recruited into the U.S. military while others made lives in a community largely run by African American community members.
Source: Nancy Bercaw, Curator, Slavery and Freedom
Description
Metal bullet with a conical head, cylindrical body, and a three-grooved hollow base. Allover tan and off-white coloring, with silver metal visible in spots.
Topic
African American
Communities
Emancipation
Freedom
Military
Slavery
United States Colored Troops
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Credit Line
Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Burnet Rhett Maybank, III
Object number
2015.92.1
Restrictions & Rights
No Known Copyright Restrictions
See more items in
National Museum of African American History and Culture Collection
Classification
Slavery and Freedom Objects
Tools and Equipment-Weapons and ammunition
Data Source
National Museum of African American History and Culture

NOTE: Cataloging is an ongoing process and we may update this record as we conduct additional research and review. If you have more information about this object, please contact us at NMAAHCDigiTeam@si.edu.