Please be aware that touring the History Galleries in their entirety will take approximately 2 hours, and will require about 1 mile of walking.
Our highest visitation is from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Friday through Sunday. During this timeframe, there may be long lines to access the History Galleries.
We encourage visitors to eat and hydrate before entering the History Galleries, especially if they have special healthcare needs.
Some exhibitions, interactives, and indoor spaces may be closed or operate at limited capacity to ensure the safety of our visitors.
Galleries & Interactives
- The Pavilion Theater remains closed to visitors.
- Some interactives, including the Reflection Booths and Digital Guestbook remain closed.
Entering & Exiting the Museum
- Please do not arrive before the entry time on your timed-entry pass.
- Timed-entry passes will be scanned at the visitor entrances on Madison Drive or Constitution Avenue, NW.
- Visitors with timed-entry passes will be able to enter the museum from the time on their pass until 4:00 p.m. For group passholders, there is a 2-hour grace period from the entry time on the pass. After this timeframe, entrance is not guaranteed and is based on capacity.
- For everyone’s safety, all visitors are required to pass through screening at the entrance to the museum. Please see a list of prohibited items in the museum before planning your visit.
- Limiting the items you bring will increase your speed through security checkpoints, helping us all maintain a safe social distance.
- Visitors are required to exit on Constitution Avenue, NW.
Dining & Shopping
The museum store is open daily, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m, with the exception of Mondays (12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.). Hand sanitizer stations are available for use upon entry and exit of the museum store.
The Sweet Home Café is open daily, from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with a limited menu, with the exception of Mondays (12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.).
NMAAHC offers a limited number of Dine and Shop passes to access only the Museum Store and Sweet Home Café between 11:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. during regular operating hours. Passes are released 7 days in advance at 8:00 a.m. EST on a rolling basis. Visitors can reserve up to 4 Dine and Shop passes per day.
Dine and Shop Passes
Frequently Asked Questions
Review our Frequently Asked Questions for more information about planning your visit and what to expect when you arrive at the museum.
Tours & Programs
Please check our upcoming events for specific dates and details.
Download Our Mobile App
Connect to our free WiFi network, "SI-Visitor" and download our mobile app as a complement to your museum visit and as a way to more easily discover the many additional stories in our collection.
Download the Mobile App